Wix or Squarespace? Which is better?
So you’re looking at doing a Do-It-Yourself website and you like the new looks of Wix and Squarespace. But which is better? What are the pros and cons? In this installment I’ll explain what’s good about these services and what’s bad and how to identify what’s best for your needs.
Wix vs Squarespace
The first question to ask yourself when trying to decide what type of website you could benefit from is this:
DO I CARE ABOUT SEO?
(DOES IT MATTER IF MY SITE CAN BE DISCOVERED IN SEARCH ENGINES?)
If the answer is No, go with Squarespace. It’s easy to use. If the answer is Yes, continue on.
Next, you need to ask yourself:
CAN I DO EVERYTHING MYSELF OR COULD I BENEFIT FROM HAVING SOMEONE MANAGE MY SITE FOR ME?
Time is money and you’re time is best spent doing what it is that makes you money. But if you’re comfortable taking on all the edits of a website yourself you should be okay with either Wix or Squarespace. Either way, read on. There is more to ask yourself.
DO I WANT A SITE THAT IS CUSTOM-DESIGNED TO MY BRAND OR AM I OKAY WITH A TEMPLATE?
If you want something custom-designed specifically for you and your brand, you don’t want Wix or Squarespace. You need a custom responsive web designer who you can trust. If you’re fine with using a template then we think Wix has the better options and a few (although still quite limiting) SEO features.
If you answered:
- Yes I care about SEO > You’ll be better off working with a professional web design firm (yes, work with a firm, not a “web guy” because companies actually respond to clients in a timely fashion and are upfront with their costs)
- No, I don’t care about SEO > You’ll be fine with wither Wix or Squarespace. You’ll probably find Squarespace to be easier to use however.
- Yes, I can manage my site on my own > You’ll be fine with Wix or Squarespace here too. If you have a remote knowledge of HTML or coding, you may find Wix to be a little more dynamic on the backend.
- No, I really could benefit from having a reliable company I could call on to make my web edits > Go with neither.. work with a professional web company like CCM who can do everything for you at the drop of a dime!
- No, I don’t care about having a template site > If the other questions above still haven’t disqualified you from using Wix or Squarespace, congratulations… you might be in the really small percentage of people that could actually benefit from a web product such as theirs’.
- Yes, I need a custom-designed site that is uniquely true to my brand! > Work with a professional web design firm like CCM.